Incentive travel – how to choose the perfect destination
When it comes to picking an incentive travel destination, you might be wondering whether it’s better to stick closer to home in the UK or to go abroad. What do the costs look like, and what’s it worth considering? Before you launch a new incentive, we provide tips on how to choose the perfect incentive travel destination.
- Easy for everyone to attend (families and team members)
- Adventure or relaxation go hand in hand – you choose!
- A longer trip may be possible with extra budget saved on flights
- Eco-friendly to meet your CSR goals
- Bang for your budget
- That unpredictable weather!
- Locations may not sound as exciting and will need more marketing to create a buzz
- More budget must be spent on entertainment
Tips for choosing the destination that’s right for your travel incentive
Consider your audience
When selecting a destination, it’s important to consider your audience. What kind of trip will they be most excited about? Are they adventurous, or would they prefer a more relaxing experience? Are they well-known to each other as colleagues? Will you be open to paying for a family ticket?
By taking these factors into account, you can choose a destination that will appeal to everyone and make the trip enjoyable for all. As we always say – survey whenever you can! By asking team members you remove any doubt about what’s going to work best for them.
What is your budget?
When it comes to budget, you have to consider the incentive itself. It’s always best to have your goals defined before you have a location. That way, you will have ascertained what the achievement levels will mean in ROI for your business. This will give you a good idea of how many people are likely to attend, what that value has added, and what you can spend as a reward for that investment.
Consider your purpose
Do you want the trip to kill two birds with one stone and also be used to strengthen relationships or to inspire creativity? Would you like people to completely relax and unwind, or would you like some positive PR and social media of the event? Depending on the goals, you may want to choose a destination that is particularly relevant or meaningful to your guests or likely to be perceived as a luxury experience.
How many incentives have you run?
The more incentives you run, the more you must rely on unique experiences.
If you can offer unique experiences that your guests won’t find anywhere else – they are going to get more excited about them. It could be hot air balloon rides, exclusive tours of landmarks, or access to behind-the-scenes experiences. By offering something truly unique, you’ll make the trip memorable and special and get more investment in the incentive. Only you can say what would be unique and comparable to previous travel incentive experiences.
When choosing a destination, it’s important to consider how easy it will be for your guests to get there. Will they need to fly, or is it within driving distance? If it’s an international trip, are there direct flights available? Consider the travel time and potential jet lag, and choose a destination that is easy to get to and won’t cause unnecessary stress.
Look at the time of year
The time of year can play a big role in the success of your incentive travel initiative. Consider the weather and the potential for crowds, and choose a destination that will be enjoyable and comfortable for your guests. If you’re planning a winter trip, for example, you might want to consider a ski resort or a warm-weather destination like the Caribbean rather than Whitby! This is why summer and spring incentives are so typical; you can really open yourself up to good weather options.
Let us help!
It’s important to work with an experienced travel partner who can help you navigate the complex world of incentive travel. Look for a partner to help you plan every trip detail, from transportation and accommodations to activities and experiences. By working with an expert, you can really kickback and relax knowing that everything is taken care of.
Make them feel special with once-in-a-lifetime trips all sorted with Motivates.
We can offer:
- Bespoke trips from 2 adults to families to large groups
- Access to the best hotels in the UK and abroad
- Access to the hottest experiences in the UK and abroad
- Fully concierge trips and bespoke itineraries, including flights, hotels and transfers
- Excellent partnerships with leading suppliers
- Winner management
- Our Volunteering Lifestyle
- How to get buy-in for team events
- Incentive travel – how to choose the perfect destination
- Top events for remote teams
- National Stress Awareness Month
- Why smaller long service rewards are more effective
- Our BCorp Journey: Three go to Sweden
- The Best Employee Christmas Gifts: What to choose for 2022
- The 6 Worst Christmas Gifts to Receive at Work
- We are B Corp Certified!